Corgi dogs are energetic; corgi puppies are even more energetic! They are loud, playful and very active. They love small walks and playing around the backyard. When you decide to adopt a corgi puppy as a pet, you should be mentally prepared for the challenges that are going to accompany the adorable little breed. Especially when it comes to feeding them, you must choose the best food for the corgi puppy.
This is because of their high level of activity and exercise all day long makes them have a bigger appetite and more nutrition required.
Since corgi puppies have a large appetite, they can and require to eat up to 3 times a day. Finding a suitable corgi puppy food which meets the daily nutritional needs, keeps the puppy healthy and above all, satisfies its hunger, can be a challenging task.
Due to their larger appetite and small stature, corgi puppies and even the adult corgi dogs are likely to gain weight which eventually leads to their several health issues. Many of the health issues are genetic but mostly are weight-related. To maintain a healthy weight of the puppy and to boost their immune system, many owners prefer to give natural food to their corgi.
Editor Choice For Best Food For Corgi Puppy
Even though natural food is cheap and may boost up the immune system of the puppy but it is likely to fail at fulfilling the daily nutritional needs of the puppy. The exact nutritional value of the food cannot be calculated whereas the dog food comes with mentioned nutritional values. Thus, you should always try to consult your corgi’s vet to make sure you are opting for dog food which serves your corgi’s nutritional needs best.
What to Consider Before Buying Food For Corgi Puppy?
Choosing the right dog food for your corgi is very important. The food you choose for your corgi must meet its nutritional requirements and helps in keeping it fit and healthy. Corgis are prone to obesity, and so you need to feed them just the right amount of food. Corgis eat almost everything that is given to them which eventually leads to overfeeding and obesity.
Adult dogs as compared to puppies need lesser calories. Puppies, as mentioned above, are super active beings, and hence require extra calories to meet their daily requirement. Corgi Dog Food comes with different nutritional values for different age groups.
Nutritional Needs and Recommendations
When you are shopping for dog food, choose the one with animal-based ingredients for corgis as they are not good at digesting plant-based ingredients. They still manage to digest grains, starch, and legumes. Furthermore, Fibre must be in an appropriate amount.
You must choose food that contains crude fiber no more than 5 percent. Fiber is required and beneficial for your dog’s digestive system, but too much fiber can be problematic. Also, carbohydrates in the corgi diet are preferred, and the exact amount required is not mentioned.
Proteins and fats need special monitoring. As far as the proteins are concerned, even though about 20-24 percent is ideal for your corgi but it is harmless to add more. The higher, the better because small dogs like corgis have fast working metabolism, and so they burn calories fast. That is why vets recommend high protein content in their diet so that despite burning their calories fast, their lean muscles must be supported.
The only thing you need to be careful about is the protein source. Protein needs to be from an animal source such as meat, poultry, fish and eggs. Not from a plant-based source. Fat content in the corgi diet must be controlled. Vets recommend adding 8 percent of minimum crude fat to your corgi puppy’s diet.
Fats from Omega fatty acids, chicken fat and salmon oil are preferred as they are known as Good Fat, but the ones which are in the form of canola oil or flaxseed are discouraged as they are known to as Bad Fat.
Supplements such as vitamins and minerals are also a must in a corgi puppy’s diet. They complete the nutritional requirement of a puppy. Items such as wheat, corn, and soy need to avoid as dogs are allergic to them especially wheat. Artificial additives are also a big No for corgis.
Top 5 Best Food for Corgi Puppy
1. Rachael Ray (Nutrish Natural Dry Dog Food)
- This dog food contains natural ingredients such as beef and brown rice mixture.
- It has no fillers and contains only the listed ingredients.
- Rachael Ray dog food is rich in protein which is an essential ingredient for puppy’s health and development.
- It further contains vitamins, minerals, and prebiotics which aid digestion. Unlike many other dog foods, this formula is free of artificial preservatives.
- The carbs content is just the right amount to maintain your puppy’s activity level.
- Also, this is available in beef flavor which puppies highly love. Even though this formula is not specifically for puppies and despite the large kibble size, it is suitable for puppies.
Even though most of the reviews about this dog food are positive, many reviews mentioned a few issues as well. Some owners mentioned their puppies facing few digestive problems such as vomiting and diarrhea.
Few owners said their puppies did not like the taste of the food and some said their puppies loved it too much that it led to their weight gain. Another common issue mentioned was regarding the portion size specified on the package which according to owners was too much for young puppies.
2. Blue Wilderness High Protein (Best Grain-Free Puppy Dry Dog Food)
- This food has a high content of protein that comes from the real chicken.
- This dog food also contains a unique mixture of essential vitamins called Life Source Bits. The mixture is combined with dog food.
- Blue Wilderness Dog food targets the holistic development and the growth of the puppies.
- It is free of by-products, soy, wheat, corn, and artificial ingredients.
- Also, it specifically mentions that it is a grain-free formula.
- Many customers have praised the formula for improving the digestive system of their corgis, and many mentioned that their puppies are no longer show allergic reactions to the added ingredients.
- The omega-3 and 6 fatty acids present in this formula help improve the skin and fur of the puppy. It also contains antioxidants and DHA which make the immune system strong and help them become healthy.
Even though this food appears to be an ideal diet for dogs but it has several bad reviews from customers. Many complained that their corgis have digestive issues such as diarrhea and vomiting. Many stated that despite being an expensive product, the package does not disclose the state where it is processed or tested.
3. Merrick Grain-Free (Puppy Recipe Dry Dog Food)
- This formula is known to be produced and cooked in an organically certified kitchen.
- The formula mentions that it is grain-free and contains deboned chicken.
- It gives about 28 percent of the protein in each serving.
- As mentioned, the formula is grain-free, and so it contains sweet potatoes which are a great substitute for grains and a good source of carbohydrates.
- The Merrick Grain-free formula contains high fiber content and vitamins.
- Many customers say it is a high-quality which has improved digestion of their puppies and their coats seem to shine more after they have started feeding them Merrick dog food. They further mention that this formula provides their puppies with high energy and is easy to digest.
The most common complaint found against this product is the small kibble size which is too small for larger puppies. Other than that, there are very few complaints about digestive issues.
4. Wellness Core Natural (Grain-Free Dry Best Food For Welsh Corgi)
- This product is the most expensive dog food of this list, but the price tag is worth everything that it is offering.
- This formula contains super high protein content that comes from the inclusion of chicken, turkey, and salmon.
- It provides your puppy all the protein that it needs and more.
- It goes a step forward by excluding preservatives and artificial ingredients.
- This dog food further excludes soy, wheat, and fillers.
- To improve your corgi’s digestive health, they coat every single kibble with probiotic.
- It mentions that they have added salmon and vitamins to focus on the core developments on the puppies and to include omega 3 fatty acids and DHS.
This formula has several positive reviews present. According to many puppy owners, they find the coat of their puppy much better and shinier after they started using this formula. They further mention that the allergic issues and few digestive problems that their puppies were facing are now fixed. An improvement in the leaky eyes has also been observed. Customers are also happy with the improved energy level of their puppies after the increased intake of proteins, calcium and necessary vitamins.
5. Taste of The Wild (Grain-Fee Formula)
- This dog food targets the origin of the corgis and tries to meet their original nutritional requirements.
- It offers a great choice of protein, i.e. wild buffalo and smoked salmon.
- It excludes grains and instead includes plenty of vegetable including sweet potatoes which are a great source of carbohydrates. They are also well suited to corgis.
- It also contains vitamins and minerals which are essential for your puppy’s development.
- It contains high protein content and nutritional values which give the puppies a lot of energy to maintain their activity level and improves their coat by making it silkier and shiny which is a plus of course.
- The kibble size is also great and is well suitable for every size of puppies.
- Even though, the packaging mentions that its nutritional standards are according to AAFCO, but it fails to mentions where its ingredients come from or where they are tested. It further does not mention whether the product contains any fillers or not.
This product has mixed reviews. On the one hand, few owners are happy with their puppy’s improved coat and energy level, on the other many complain about their puppy’s increased bowel movements and inconsistency when it comes to food quality.
Best Puppy Food For Cocker Spaniels
Which Food Are Not Good For Corgi Puppies?
Corgis are carnivores, and they do not require starch or complex carbohydrates such as wheat or grains. An ideal diet for corgi contains animal-based protein, vegetables, and even fruits. For corgi’s best health and development, the owner must avoid giving any food to corgi which includes any of the following:
- BHA/BHT: BHA/BHT is known for blood clotting and promoting tumor growth.
- MSG: MSG in dog food can cause severe brain damage
- Gluten: Gluten sensitivity in dogs can lead to several gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea, vomiting, excessive gas which eventually leads to weight loss.
- Corn Syrup: The high amount of corn syrup is not recommended for your dog as it results in diabetes and obesity
- Vegetable Oil: Corgis have a problem digesting plant-based fats which results in digestive issues for them.
- Macadamia Nuts: They cause toxicosis to your corgis if ingested by them.
- Food with High-Fat Content: They are known to cause pancreatitis to corgi puppies and adults.
- Chocolate: Yes, you might love chocolate and wish to share it with your little friend, but it is known to cause theobromine poising in dogs if consumed in high quantity.
- Cooked Bones: Cooked bones become weak and can be easily broken by the dogs. Broken bones turn into flakes, which is swallowed, can injure intestines. This may result in internal bleeding.
- Raisins and Grapes: Even though the exact reason is still not identified, but dogs are known to suffer from complete renal failure after intake of grapes or raisins.
Best Food For French Bulldog With Allergies
Best Food and Vegetable for Corgis
As mentioned above, an ideal diet for corgi contains animal-based protein, vegetables, and fruits. The following are the items that are good alternatives to packaged dog food and can even be given along with the dry dog food but in the right quantity.
- Green peppers
- Green Beans
Best Dog Food for Great Pyrenees
Best Dog Food For Miniature Schnauzer
Best Dog Food For Miniature Poodles